Sending money using a bank account is a popular remittance method, as it is generally considered safe, reliable and convenient. To send money using a […]
Sending money from Thailand to Lao PDR?
We can help!
SaverAsia makes it easy to send money from Thailand to Lao PDR. Compare money transfer services to find the cheapest, safest and fastest services.
Need help? Check out our video guides.
These results may not include all services available for this remittance corridor. The information above includes all known costs.
The data is for your general information and its status is indicative. You should always check information with the relevant provider before using any of the products or services listed.
Need help sending money to Lao?
Here are our frequently asked questions
How can I send my money abroad to Lao?
There are many ways to send money to Lao:
Cash – You can send cash from another country, by using one of many different money transfer organisations, and your family can pick up cash in Lao from an agent or branch.
Card-to-card – You can send your money by using a bank card and the person you’re sending to can collect the money in cash at an ATM or the money can be spent in stores where the card is accepted.
An International Money Order (IMO) – Your bank will give you an international guaranteed cheque and your family can then cash the cheque at their bank or pay it into their bank account.
Bank to Bank Transfer – If you have a bank account you can transfer money from this to a bank account in another country. The method used is often called a SWIFT transfer – this is the name of a transfer system. New bank to bank transfer systems are also steadily launching, such as Ripple’s real-time gross settlement (RTGS) system which can enable real time international cross-border payments between banks.
Online – Many money transfer companies now let you transmit through the internet (online). You need to set up a special account and then the company will send the money to your friend’s bank account or make it available for the money to be collected as cash.
Mobile – sending money through mobile phone, and smartphone is an area that is developing all the time due to new technology and increased smartphone ownership and usage. For example, it is possible to send money for collection from many countries into the Philippines Globe GCash, or Smart Padala International mobile wallets. When received this money can be collected as cash at many cash pick-up centers, or it can be received directly into a mobile wallet and be used for paying bills, loading mobile airtime, online shopping or for withdrawals at ATMs.
If I send money to my friends or family in Lao, how much will they receive in their currency?
What is the true cost to me to send this money to Lao?
There are several components to the true total cost when sending money to Lao.
- Transfer fees: This is the most visible cost and can differ significantly among different companies. This fee usually represents the charge the sender pays and can vary depending on the amount sent.
- Receive costs: Receivers may sometimes be charged additional costs when receiving money. Funds sent for cash collection at a Money Transfer Operator (MTO) or MTO agent will not normally incur additional charges. Money received in a bank account can sometimes be subject to additional foreign exchange or other bank charges that the sender has no knowledge of before sending. These costs will be taken off of the final receive amount. Further receive costs can include charges when cashing out at a mobile money agent.
- Exchange Rate Fee: Normally, when calculating the exchange rate an organisation adds a “margin” – often called a “currency conversion fee”. This results in them making additional money from your transaction and is normal practice in the money transfer and banking industry. This is often a hidden charge, so you are advised to compare the rates offered by different providers
What do I do if the money I'm sending overseas goes missing?
Where can the money I send to Lao be collected?
View Our Video Guides
Overtime Calculator: Public Holiday
Overtime Calculator: Rest Day
Overtime Calculator: Normal Day
What are the different ways I can send money?
Here is a breakdown of the different ways you can use to send money to Lao PDR
- Bank account
- Sufficient funds
- Beneficiary details
- Mobile Phone
- Internet access
- Sufficient funds
Mobile wallets have become a popular way to send and receive money, especially among younger generations who prefer using their smartphones for financial transactions. To […]
- Debit/Credit Card
- Sufficient funds
- Money Transfer Operator
Using a bank card as a sending method is a popular and convenient way to transfer money. The sender can use their bank card to […]
- Knowledge of the MTO's system
Cash transfers are a popular way to send money, especially for people who do not have access to a bank account or prefer to use […]
Receiving Countries We Cover!
SaverAsia provides important information on the many choices you have when sending money back to your family and friends in Asia. Some of our missions are:
- Compare costs and services for sending money home
- Help you save money wherever you live